Monday, July 14, 2014

Blythe vintage hanky dress

Preparing to sew the dress
I've admired the stunning Blythe couture creations by Frédérique on Flickr for some time, and recently she just shared a free tutorial for a vintage hanky dress for Blythe. I finally finished my own version.
There are so many gorgeous details in the pattern, little techniques you can learn and the finishing is perfect. I think I may even like the petticoat the best, it's so frilly and adds a lovely volume to the skirt.

It took a long time to make this, I found the hanky fabric to be very delicate and hard to sew with my machine, so I did a lot of hand sewing. I tried using a nice new sharp and thin needle, but at times it just mashed the fabric down into the feed dogs. One trick was to start sewing a bit farther from the edge, then hand sewing the first part to tidy it up. In the end the results were worth it to me, and a few days while I had a headache it was nice to have some quiet sewing to do while sitting around.
You can find the pattern and, even better, a full photo step-by-step on how to sew each step here. Many thanks to Frédérique for sharing her talent and gorgeous pattern!



3 comments:

Dawn said...

It turned out great! I love the pretty print on your hankie and the color you chose for the petticoat.

Claire Louise Milne said...

Thank you Dawn! I didn't have too many colours of the lightweight cotton fabric for the petticoat so this was a happy sort of accident :)

Susan@minicrochetmad said...

When sewing lightweight fabric try putting tissue paper under the fabric and sew the layers together. This will stop the fabric being pushed down by the needle and it will peel away down the stitching holes when you're done. Another hint is not to do the usual stay stitching to start a seam, instead start a little way down from the edge and sew just a couple of stitches backward before going forward and completing the seam. There's less bulk this way and less hand finishing.

You did a fine job of this beautiful dress and can be proud of it!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP