Monday, May 19, 2014

Little coat

This is the next Blythe that will be getting some custom work when I get the chance. In the meantime, I've finally perfected my coat pattern. It's hard to get the fit right when it's so small. It started out as a Japanese Blythe sewing book pattern, and I was amazed that they expected me to add a pocket flap and piping at the collar, sleeve cuffs and waistline. Very fiddly work but it is very charming.

Once I tried the book pattern version, I made my own version with a longer bodice, shorter, gathered skirt and two pocket flaps. This one turned out well, but it's a little bit snug without much room for another top underneath. I also made my pattern with a full lining so there was no worrying about fraying.

You'd think that all this would be painstaking enough, but once I finished and added buttons on top with snap closures underneath, I didn't like how bulky it was. So I added handsewn button holes. It's a little fussy to get on, but I love how it looks! Worth the trouble? I don't know, I don't know why I get obsessed about making little things like this, but I do, so I've just decided to accept it.

2 comments:

mermet said...

The coat is charming. Love your choice of fabric and the button details. Thanks for sharing :)

Patricia R said...

You are very talented to be able to sew such delicate work...with piping and pocket flaps!
I like the print and those tiny buttons and holes.
Pat

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP