Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Going Blythe

This is my first Blythe and my first custom. I didn't mean to get into Blythe, but it happened and now I'm hooked! My favourite part of course is sewing and knitting the little outfits, so more on that later but in the meantime I wanted to mention how I did the custom face.

Here's the "before" picture:
The first thing I did was add sleepy eyes. There are lots of tutorials online, but what many of them don't mention is that if you leave her sleeping too long - like overnight I guess? - the mechanism may warp and in my case the cord no longer worked to switch the eye colours.

So since I had to replace that, I was going to open her up anyway and it seemed like a good time to make some more changes. The face is sand-matted, then the eyes were boggled and gaze corrected, the easiest changes because all you do is shave off a wee bit of plastic and she looks up instead of down, and the lids don't show when her eyes are open. Again, lots of tutorials online so I won't describe that part anymore.

I did the carving with some wooden handled tools I already had for making linocuts one thousand years ago in art class.

The next thing I did wrong was when I used the hot glue method of removing the eye chips. Call me old-fashioned but I'm not that keen on the orange and pink eyes. So the part that went wrong is that I was too speedy with the glue stick and it actually melted the eye chip a bit. I guess you should just take a moment after you heat the stick before applying it. Anyway what I discovered is that you can use those nail buffer pads (which I used to sand matte the face) to smooth out the chip, then buff it back to a shine. Phew!

Lastly I didn't want to use the spray matte/fixative so I just applied the colour with chalk pastels and a Q-tip and I guess at some point it might wear off. But I found if you rub it in, it seems to almost stain into the plastic and seems quite durable.

Here's the "after" face:
The adorable beret is a free pattern from Maggie Baird called Écolière Beret (on Ravelry). It's really such a nice and simple pattern. I designed and knit the cardigan myself, the pattern needs some adjustment but it was fun to knit something on 0000 knitting needles. The dress, which you can't really see, is from a Japanese Blythe sewing book but I'll show more of those later.


1 comment:

Chickpea said...

Hello!
I saw you girl on Flickr and thought I would pop by. Looks like you a are starting a little Blythe blog. It is lovely! I just started playing with dolls about a month ago myself (!). Only clones so far but hopefully one day something more substantial : )

the things you made her are exquisite, I can't wait to see more! I am bloglovin you lol.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP